Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Legend of Kunibiki at O'Hanlon Center For the Arts through April 2013

The NEW fabrics are a hit!  People look at them and ponder if they are made out of silk.  At the Roundtable artist talk, the Facilitator at O'Hanlon Center For the Arts asked me why I called the kimono pictured here "The Legend of Kunibiki".  I shared the Creation story of how the god Yatsukomeizuomozunu saw that after the gods had created the Land of Izumo, now known as Japan,  that it was too small.  He used a plow and a rope to pull other pieces of land together, the way the mixed media act as a substrate to hold the colorants in the kimonos I create.  I loved how the accidental cracks are a metaphor for the land in the Creation Story and found my process to be consistent with the myth. 

Elise with "The Legend of Kunibiki", Mixed Media, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment