Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Origami quilt made with monoprints is growing!


As I pin my folded monoprints to the wall in my foyer, I notice that the quilt is taking on a new life of its own. I wonder where this "block" will fit, and how to make the edges meet on forms that were created out of different sizes of paper. I think about how Nature does it. How each piece needs a space, and how each piece fills a space. I originally wanted to use as few pushpins as possible because I didn't want to make holes in my wall, but I realize that this "rule" is too constraining for what the piece wants to do and can do. My installation piece can't be forced into a contrived configuration because I don't want to put holes in the wall. It needs to BREATHE. I think about the freedom that the "Magic Wall" at O'Hanlon Center for the Arts offers me. I wonder, I ponder... on how to proceed. Then, I realize that I only need to keep making monoprints and all of them will find their way onto my "Magic Wall"!

Stay tuned as the quilt folds and unfolds, breathes and takes on new meaning.

Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment