Monday, July 5, 2010

My life as an Equine portrait painter..,

Today, I woke up and was guided by Spirit to return to the Fair a third time to see the horses and mules once more. After I had a lovely conversation with Matt and Hanna, at the Farm Fresh Foods booth, about RAW food and how I healed myself of hyperthyroidism in 2 1/2 weeks, I sauntered over to the paddock, where I was very fortunate to witness the Draft Pull, by two magnificent clydesdales, "Willie" and "Leo". I learned that they were originally bred by the Scots as war horses, and that all of their individual traits of large size, white markings and "feathers" on their legs were intended to be intimidating. Then, after the wars subsided, they were used for field work, and pulling ploughs and carts. Now, with their beautiful white feathers and sleek dark umber colored bodies glistening in the mid-day sun, they are truly something beautiful to see. Their owner, Neil, from the Jack London Ranch, was very nice to talk to and very receptive to my eager interest in his animals. He invited me to the ranch to paint his animals. In addition, I met Anne, a horsewoman and owner of 11 Roses Ranch, who owns two incredibly gorgeous white mules with black skin, named "Belle" and "Blue", who are half sisters who share the same donkey father and different mothers. As a child, my uncle told me that mules are the best horses because they are sure-footed, agile, and very smart. I guess it is because they don't have to contend with the hormones, since they are unable to reproduce. With camera in hand, I shot some beautiful videos and offered them to Neil, who was delightful and looks forward to seeing preliminary paintings of my first Equine Portraits, fashioned from my own pictures. I love how I can capture stills from the videos I shot and will be able to to paint them with their prancing hooves standing in mid air. Their harnesses alone will be a huge challenge for me, with all of the straps and fittings, but I am willing to give it my best shot. So, look for my portraits coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment