Sunday, July 18, 2010

Personal Creativity Workshop inspired by drawings by Duffy Huppler

Cayen layed out old pictures of drawings by Duffy Huppler printed in 1947 on the table in front of us. We were shown artworks by Rauschenberg, then told to create an artwork using more than one medium. We had a lot of fun painting, drawing and sculpting with various media including pastels, paints, ink, pencil and went to town with scissors, glue and whatever else caught our fancy. I woke up in the morning with chickens on my mind, after researching biotech art and finding a connection to the egg's use as a vessel for creating vaccines, plus a whole lot more. Phrases like, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" and "You've gotta break some eggs to make an omelet", were sizzling in my mind when I saw the picture of Duffy Huppler's "clucking" to me. What makes Huppler's work so interesting is the surreal twist he gives to his art. In his chicken drawing, he placed an egg above the chicken's head and made me think of the proverbial lightbulb that we connect to our thoughts or perhaps the thought bubble cartoonists use.

No comments:

Post a Comment