Friday, June 18, 2010

Hi Ho Silver, Silverpoint Drawing

"Hi Ho Silver", silverpoint drawing, 11" x 14"

Last semester, while taking Materials and Techniques, with Chester Arnold, I learned about an ancient drawing technique called silverpoint or metalpoint, where the artist makes marks with a piece of metal wire onto a gessoed clayboard. I loved the concept of being able to make marks with a piece of metal wire, so I created the piece, "Hi Ho Silver" for the Marin County Fair. Since I was a little girl, I always got excited when our horses would rear up on their hind legs. The title reminds one of the famous Lone Ranger, who shouted to his loyal white steed named Silver, "Hi Ho Silver away", but I got my inspiration for the title from a play on words on the media silverpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment